The town of Burgh le Marsh (Burgh as pronounced in Edinburgh not as in Pittsburgh) was established on a low hill in the southern middle marsh, part of the Lincolnshire coastal plain. There is evidence of it being a Roman fort, numerous Roman artefacts and coins have been discovered in many parts of the town some of these items can be viewed at the Burgh Heritage Display in the Granary, part of the Burgh Heritage Centre. Palaeolithic and other earlier finds have been made on ‘Cock Hill’ where during an archeological dig in 1933 brought to light Saxon burial remains. The concave on the hill top is rumoured to have been where cock fighting took place hence the name ‘Cock Hill’
Mentioned in the ‘Doomsday book’ as an important Anglo-
Burgh le Marsh then called Burg or Burch -
became a market town in 1401 with the granting of a town charter
unfortunately with the steady decline in agriculture over the years it reverted
back to a ‘village’.
In 1992 Burgh le Marsh once again became regained its ‘Town’ status and the
Town Council was formed from the old Parish Council.
There where once two Churches in Burgh le Marsh but today only one remains
the 14th century Church of St Peter and St. Paul’s. There is no evidence to the
location of the former St Mary’s or to actually what happened to the building.
St Peter & St. Paul’s contains a wood carved lectern in the shape of a large majestic eagle, a fine example of the skills of Jabez Good as wood carver. Not only was Jabez Good the village barber and an accomplished wood carver, but also an historian, writer and taxidermist.
Burgh le Marsh had it’s windmill built 1810 -
Burgh hall was built in 1840 by the Rev Sir George William Crauford
On the High Street is the Victorian ‘Old Police Station’ and was one of the earliest to be built dating from 1845 and closed in the early 1960’s. The front wrought iron railings are mostly original. The flag pole bracket’s have been renewed due to due to corrosion. The ground floor which contained two cells have walls 20 inches (51 cm's) in thickness.
1848 saw the construction of Burgh Railway Station, actually built two miles out of the village in the parish of Gunby. It was a victim of the Beeching cuts having the last train depart on October 4th 1970 The towns gas works was established in 1858.
At the onset of the second world war a search light battery was placed on what is now Burgh le Marsh Cricket Club’s ground on Station Road. All entry routes to the town was guarded by military road blocks. A German bomber crew whose plane crashed into the sea off Chapel St Leonards where captured and held in cells at the old Police Station before being taken to a prisoner of war camp.
The old cattle market, now Dobson’s Court was closed 7th September 1961.
Today after much building development, beginning in the late 1960’s the towns population at the 2011 census numbered 2340. Burgh le Marsh may be the largest it ever as been but as the expansion continues so does the strength of a friendly community, welcoming visitors and new arrivals.
Many interesting & informative books on Burgh le Marsh and Lincolnshire can be
found at Old Chapel Lane Books
‘Cock Hill’ Burgh le Marsh
Copyright © visit burgh le marsh 2017
Designed & maintained by The Rampant Pig
Proud to support
Follow us on
Designated websites and photos are the property of their respective owners